The Bring Back our Girls Group (BBOG) has kicked against the fund raising organized in its name by Hadiza, President Buhari’s daughter and the Peace Corps Of Nigeria.
The Peace Corps of Nigeria in collaboration with African Support and Empowerment Initiative launched an endowment fund in support of the 21 Chibok girls released by Boko Haram last Thursday. Mr Dickson Akoh, the National Commandant of PCN disclosed that PCN had already contributed the sum of N3.5 million to the fund which is meant to facilitate the rehabilitation and reintegration of the girls.
According to the commandant, the principal signatory to the account is the president of AFRISEI while the other signatory would be the Chibok family. The president of AFRISEI, Hadiza added that the Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria has pledged to carry out free medical test on Hepatitis B and C, HIV, Malaria and sugar level on the girls.
Hadiza further stated that “Considering the present economic situation that the country is passing through, it is necessary for the government to be assisted in ensuring that funds are raised to champion the cause of rehabilitating the released Chibok girls to a concluding success.
“It gives me a great honour to be present here today for the signing of the MoU of an endowment fund for the rehabilitation of the released Chibok girls between our organizations”
But the BBOG coalition in a statement by its leaders has disowned the the fundraising stating that it was not a party to the launch of the endowment fund and is not aware of it.
The group’s statement read “following repeated enquiries from the media, we stumbled upon information of an event tagged “official Inauguration and signing of Memorandum of Understanding on the Chibok Girls Endowment Project” organized by the Peace Corps of Nigeria” and “Africa Support and Empowerment Initiative”, with Hadiza Buhari Bello.
“We are shocked, perplexed and completely dumbfounded to see the bold inscription of our hard-earned name, #BringBackOurGirls, on the event’s backdrop.
“We state categorically that we are not party to the said event and have absolutely no information of its origin. We urge the general public to disregard attempts at linking our movement to this highly suspicious event.”
“Together with our lawyers, Femi Falana & Co, we are considering a response to this attempt to smear our movement.
“We call on the general public and law enforcement agencies to be on the look-out for unscrupulous persons who may already be/are planning similar nefarious acts to deceive the local and international community,” It said.